Posted on 6 Comments

Winter Wanderings Day #3, Greenville, SC, Chewacla State Park, Auburn, AL

Awakened to another rainy day in Greenville. Boy, is the rain getting old. Hope the Sunshine State delivers. I need some vitamin D, especially still recovering from the flu after 3wks…

Wiley visited with his dad before we headed out, early morning. Prior to Wiley going to the office for meetings, we drove out to Piedmont to leave Happy to be serviced at Christopher Trucks. We then made our way across town to drop the puppies off at the new location of A Dog’s Day Out across from Bob Jones, only after I had driven them out to Greer near Thornblade, to find they had moved, before I had met Wiley in Piedmont. It was kind of a crazy morning. Little did we know at the time, the afternoon would be much crazier.

I got Wiley to work then went to run a few errands, before meeting my friend, Julianne for tea. We had a major catch up then she headed out to yoga. My bestie, Melissa was home sick in bed, and a few other friends were at work, so I decided to take myself to the movies to see Little Women. Glad I was by myself, because I was blubbering like a baby. Great movie!

After the movie, I picked Wiley up at the office off Haywood. We still had to get the puppies on Pleasantburg, drive back out Piedmont to pick up the van, drop off my SUV on Woodruff to be serviced, then drive the 4+ hours to Chewacla State Park in Auburn, AL. When we come to Greenville, we have a lot of business to take care of, all the things we can not do in the mountains. On the way to get the puppies, the Christopher Trucks service manager, Brian called to tell us that one of the dualie tires on the back had a screw in it and was unrepairable. He said, they don’t deal with tires and could not patch it, only fill it with air. He recommended a commercial tire place down the road, that may or may not be able to help us. This was at 3:30, we still had to get the puppies, then make our way out there, and back into town to Powerstar, where we take the SUV for service. Luckily, they are open until 6:00 and have a drop box, so that was not an issue. I called Snider’s commercial tire to be told, they won’t work on RV’s, because of the weight and liability of putting them on the lift. Plus, they didn’t carry a small enough tire for us. She had no one to recommend either…At that point, I called our longtime trusted tire provider, North Hills Automotive on Augusta Rd. Nick couldn’t believe Christopher Trucks couldn’t help us. He said, “No worries. I’ll have what I believe is the right tire brought from the warehouse right now, we will put it on when you get here, and get you on the road this evening, but we close at 5:00”. Mind you, I’m talking to him at about 4:15, by this point. Once at Christopher Trucks, Wiley says, “I have a full size tire on the back of the van. Why can’t we just put that on?”. Glad someone was thinking like a winner! The mechanics hadn’t even noticed the spare on the back. They were nice enough to put it on, despite the fact, they “don’t do that”. With the spare on it was now 4:30. We arrived at North Hills at 4:45. Brilliant Nick, had, indeed, gotten the right tire with very little information. He confirmed the tire with the screw could not be patched. He had someone put the new tire on the back of the van, as a spare and we were on the road to Powerstar by 5:05. It was a stressful afternoon, but everyone involved could not have been nicer and it all worked out. We dropped the SUV at Powerstar, where we would leave it for 3wks, and got on the road towards Auburn at 5:40. Whew! The universe was looking out for us. I attribute everything working out to some good karma. Grateful!

We drove for an hour then stopped to eat at a rest area full of truckers, sleeping. Wiley had eaten a big lunch at Willy Taco with his team from work. I was starving. I had not had lunch. I just got a free popcorn at the movie, thanks to my Regal card. Wiley fired up the generator, heating up my Penang shrimp curry for me. He just had a quick snack while mine heated. I ate it while we drove on down the road towards Auburn. We hit Atalanta around 8:00pm. We couldn’t believe the traffic, even at night. We were so surprised. Google maps said, there was a wreck ahead of us with a 20min slow down. We switched to Waze, as is our custom and got around it without sitting in traffic for a minute. With an hour left to go to Chewacla, I started falling asleep. Wiley said, I could go to the back to bed, which I had never done before. I felt guilty for leaving him, but I just couldn’t stay awake. I still have not resigned my strength and energy after being taken down by the flu. I slept straight through to the campground, only taking off my clothes when we arrived, not even getting up to do the nightly ritual. I was wiped out. Thankful to Wiley for driving in the dark and getting us there after a long day. He rocks!

Again, no pictures, Folks. With the rain, being in the city, no hiking, or campground camping, there was not much to photograph. That all changes today, as we are at Chewacla State Park. Get ready for photos, coming your way from here on out!

6 thoughts on “Winter Wanderings Day #3, Greenville, SC, Chewacla State Park, Auburn, AL

  1. Hope you find some sunshine soon. Wish I could have gone with you to see the movie, as it is still one of my all time favorite books!

    1. Thanks! Me too. Wish you’d been with me. You’d love it. Go see it. It’s phenomenal! Let me know what you think after you do. xoxo

  2. So sorry that that flu is giving you a fit still, be sure to eat healthy, as I know you always do, my sweet girl~~wishing you a step forward every day in your recovery and regaining your strength❣️

    1. Thanks for always looking out for me. I am all most back to normal. Love you❤️

  3. Hope you are back to full speed ASAP!!

    1. I am pretty much there. Thank you!

Comments are closed.